
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"
How many times have you heard that saying?
Too many I would say.
But I don't agree.
Words are powerful!!
I have talked a lot about how words can really hurt someone but until you experience it yourself you'll never know how deep words can cut a person to the heart. I experienced the way words can negatively effect someone even if you only speak them casually or in passing by this past week. There were some words I've been the recipient of that have left me deeply hurt and I don't think I will ever forget them. The person speaking was one in power above me whom I greatly respect. They probably have no idea what they said or even if I heard it, but I did.
Words do hurt. That is a fact.
no riddle or cute saying will change that.
However, how many times have I done the very same thing? Said something against someone whether behind their back or to their faces that was hurtful. They probably still remember it to this day.
So I cannot hold on to those words. I can't let them leave me scared.
I've been reading the book of Proverbs for my devotionals and as I was thinking about what this individual had said I read these passages from Proverbs chapter 11:
"From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things as surely as the works of his hands rewards him. The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice. A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks insults. Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." vs. 14-16, 18, 25
Becareful what you say. Hold your tongue. Who knows who is listening?
Words can hurt or heal, What will yours do today??
No comments:
Post a Comment