A Year in Pohnpei

My Life as an Student Missionary in Micronesia

Friday, May 7, 2010

Airports


I love Airports.
At least the arrivals...

go to the departure gate and you're flooded with images of tears, sadness, leaving, parting, breaking up, good-byes, and plain unhappiness.
But go to arrivals and there is an sense of happiness and joy amidst the screams of excitement, hellos, reunions, hugs, and smiles. People are meant to be together.

I've had to do a few "departures" just in the last few weeks. I left my best friend on the side walk as I waved good-bye from the van taking me to the airport from Southern Adventist University concluding my sophomore year of college. A ting of sadness and loss gripped my throat and I just watched till I could watch no more. Then the next day I said good-bye to my cousins as I walked through airport security onto my plane headed for Dallas Texas to be reunited with my Aunt and Uncle for a week of fun. Then here we go again... Hugs and farewells to my Aunt as my brother and I walked through airport security onto another waiting area for out flight back home. I reluctantly said goodbye again to a someone I love.

I always seem to be saying goodbye now. Goodbye to my high school classmates as we must move on to grow up on our own and make our own lives. Our class once tight and bonded separated by time and space. We once causally chatting and hanging out now cling to the last few moments of the time we had together during our graduation. Tears stung my eyes on that last day as I watched my friends for so long cry and hug with no more time left.
I say goodbye to my parents every time they come to visit or I go home for a few days. The times at home seems so short. It never really occurred to me that I would not be living at home for much longer. I took my time here for granted. Now I know whenever I get home I will always be packing up again and leaving AGAIN. NOT a fun feeling.
Nothing seems to be sure anymore.

I hate goodbyes.

There's a reunion that I can't wait to be a part of.
One WITHOUT a goodbye.

A reunion that will last forever.
No more tears, no more airport departures, no more graduations, no more farewell hugs, no more empty feelings.
Just a hello to forever with our Lord and Savior.
I can't wait for that day, what about you?
Are you excited for no more parting. I sure am!

REVELATION 21:4 "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

No comments:

Post a Comment