A Year in Pohnpei

My Life as an Student Missionary in Micronesia

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Th Sickness of Sin


Being sick is never fun.

It started with a head cold. Moving to my lungs it started to creep into my body. Waking up Wednesday morning it had hit my entire being like a freight train. I could barely move, for the fact that I didn't even want to move. It hurt to breathe. But school is not an option in college. No matter how you feel you must continue to go, go, go. I tried to fight it but the flu is not something that leaves ones body quickly. It is in no rush to evacuate the premise and in my case it was no different. Heading to the gymnastics gym Tues. night with my hood over my head, shoulder slumped in exhaustion from the constant battle inside me and a big pair of sweat pants i was not in the mood to hold others up or do any time or form of physical movement. My head was hot and my joints felt as if they had sand paper in them, leaving me with no energy to do anything but survive. I had not been sick like this in a very, very long time. Walking back to my dorm room, slowly and painfully I began to think, as I often do when I have alone time. This sickness had absolutely taken over my entire being. It changed my personality. I was tired and not as optimistic about life and my friends could tell. Something was wrong. Made me think of what sin does to us. Not only our physical bodies but definitely our spiritual well being. It takes us over completely causing us "aches and pains" of a spiritual battle inside of us. It changes us and people can tell. Changes us for the worst. But this too does pass. I tried to let my body fight the sickness, but was forced to give in, give in to the medication. There is no relief like that of a cough drop when your throat is on fire or your lungs are dry heaving in pain. That medicine for our spiritual is the one and only life giver, Jesus Christ. Only He can cleanse us from the inside out and relieve that sinful pain.

When you're sick you avoid certain things too. Sounds familiar to avoiding temptation of sin. I couldn't eat sugar. In fact for once in my life I revolted sugar thinking of the damage it would do to my immune system causing this awful sickness to drag on even longer. I didn't down a nutty bar even though it tasted good cause I knew the consequences would be more sickness. So why put yourself in a situation where you are forced to be tempted with sins sickness. Christ is our only hope. He is the physician, the great healer, our medicine. Good news this medicine doesn't taste horrible either like buckleys or halls, all it takes is one question. one question to have God take complete control of your life. Complete control of your defense system against the sickness of sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment