A Year in Pohnpei

My Life as an Student Missionary in Micronesia

Friday, August 19, 2011

Diesel Trucks, soft serve and answered prayer



Let's see...my last post was pretty much a week ago and I am so overwhelmed with everything that has happened I am tempted just to copy and past from Brittany's very detailed and up to date blog to fill in the details of this week.
So our days are filled with unpredictable adventures but the most epic one we had this week involved the yellow truck. We've already had a truck break down on the way to church and had to wait for a relief ride, leaving it on the side of the road. Now we were down to one truck for the SM's to use for town runs which is really small for all of us to fit in in one run but we attempted it anyways. we all piled into the truck and crossed our fingers that everyone would fit, groceries, school supplies and all would fit into this truck.



We stopped at the post office day before but missed the package pick up by 8 minutes! I was disappointed since I'm waiting for a few packages including peanut butter!!! I didn't think other packages would be arriving for a while since i thought it takes a few weeks to get here. Whenever we drive around the island we are quite the sight to see for the locals. They stare at the excited white people in the SDA school truck and we just smile and wave:) Right before we left Brittany yelled at me across the campus and said i had a package!! I got so excited and ran to see what I had gotten so quickly. I actually had 2 packages!!! One was a pair of shoes my aunt had sent me and the other was my answer to prayer!!!!! I emailed Coach Schwartz and Dr. Garver at Southern about a week ago petitioning them for some sports equipment. I was expecting a box with a basketball and volleyball and maybe a few hot spots but boy was I wrong!!!!! I got an email back saying they had sent FIVE boxes of equipment for me to use. I don't think I could describe to you the emotions that flooded over me when I read that. I felt so blessed to have such amazing support from such amazing staff. I could talk about Southern ALL day long! This just proved the awesomeness that Southern has and how their staff REALLy do care about each and every student, even when they are half way around the world! I couldn't thank them enough for that amazing generosity! Now that I actually had this large box in front of me I was overwhelmed. I only got one of the 5 but the bigger fact of this was the miracle it brought with it. They sent 5 packages (which I still hope are on their way lol) but this one just happened to arrive first. But I do not believe it was just a coincidence! I prayed that morning that God would provide a way for me to be able to fitness test my PE class but I didn't have the resources or equipment to do so. This package had 5 (the exact amount i needed) of jump ropes for me to do all the tests I needed to that next day! God is good, all the time! And I have Coach and Garver to thank for this amazing blessing in Pohnpei:) I know my girls were shocked to see BRAND new equipment (basketballs, volleyball, jump ropes, pylons) and that was only the first package!!! I'm excited to receive the rest and show them. So here we are, packed full in the truck with our water containers ready to buy the town out. It had been a while since our last grocery store visit to palm terrace and a bunch of us needed to go to ACE for school supplies and teaching materials. We managed to drop our water containers off to be filled which helped with the space issue. Next stop was palm terrace for groceries. Since we went had so much stuff and eggs and milk that needed to be refrigerated we took a run back to the school and were going to go out again to ace. on the way back we needed to stop for gas so we stopped at a self serve and they asked them for "regular." Apparently regular on this island means just regular diesel. Well we found that out quickly we were stuck. Luckily for us it was at one of the best gas stations we could have stopped at with slushies and SOFT SERVE ice cream!! The island doesn't have much ice cream or american necessities (desserts) since everything they do have is melted and soft. so many times we jump on opportunities to enjoy the treats here:) I had a raspberry slushy! really good. We were stuck at the gas station for about an hour until one of the teachers came to pick us up in the dump truck. quite the ride back lol!! So after a very long afternoon we missed ACE closing and return the next day.



That was only one day this week! we also had an entire week (first week) teaching our classes! I was standing at the front of one of my health classes on thursday and thats when it really hit me. I am a high school teacher! The students were handing in their papers and I was writing homework on the board.......this is really happening....i am a student missionary in Pohnpei! God works in surprising ways and i'm excited to be in his hands through it all.


GIrls SM's with the flower from our "apple" tree on campus


we have REALLy bad luck with trucks. This is us trying to push the truck out when we got stuck at Mrs. Cool's house:)

1 comment:

  1. It is so much fun reading all your adventures and love those pictures!!!!! I can now get a better picture of where you are, what you are doing.....this is great...thanks for taking the time to write...even though I know you are so busy! May God continue to bless you in a very special way and all the SM's! Bisous (MAMAN)

    ReplyDelete