A Year in Pohnpei

My Life as an Student Missionary in Micronesia

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Love like a child


For this spring break I've been working in the wellness center and specifically in Child Care. Parents can bring their kids and I will babysit while they go and workout on the fitness floor. Normally I'm a floor worker however this was a nice break and change of pace from standing around in the weight room so I was enjoying my time to relax in there. I haven't had many kids stop in so I was not prepared for a brother and sister to come bouncing in to the room with their parents close at foot. They were real lively kids and kept me on my toes for the hour that their parents were gone. The boy wanted to watch 3,2,1, Penguins however he didn't want to watch the whole thing. He kept rewinding the last 2 minutes of it and watched it over and over and over and over probably about 15 times. The little girls always wanted me to do what she was doing. If she was coloring she wanted to me color. If she was playing with blocks she wanted me playing with blocks. If she wanted to play firetruck well I was the house on fire for her. To say the lest they were fun kids. As they got ready to go we cleaned up the room and put the toys away. They showed their parents their drawings and were excited to go swimming next as their parents had promised them. On the way out the little girl latched on my leg squeezing for all she was worth. I bent down to her level and gave her a hug. She pulled back and puckered up her lips so I gave her my cheeck and she planted a wet one right on my face. It was so cute. "buh bies" she whispered and quickly she ran off after her brother and mom heading out to the swimming pool. I just kind of stayed squatted and took it all in. What complete trust that little girl had. To her I was a complete stranger just 45min ago and now she takes me in her little arms in a big hug and to her I'm a friend. How many of us can say thats how we treat those around us. With complete trust and LOVE. Love like Jesus loved. It made me stop and think of how I treat strangers I meet. Do I stereotype the minute I see them and judge them based on appearance. Unfortunately I can't say I don't. We created an opinion on someone before becoming their friend or getting to know them. To this girl I was her best friend the moment I began to color with her. She has no bias against me, no preconceived ideas but just was happy to have a friend and to ultimately love my like Jesus. No faults. If I could love the way a child loves. Does not keep track of wrongs but simply loves. I learned my lesson today. Lord Help me love like a child, to Love like YOU DID.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91

1 comment: