I was dead.
Literally.
Hanging over the side of a smoking car, blood dripping down from a gash in my shoulder and from a wound on my head, and a black eye to boot.
Only one shoe on, the other was thrown out of the car upon impact. All is motionless and my forehead throbs as my eyes strain in the light. My back is trembling and tense.
Confused? Yes:) this was my freeze frame scene during the opening of SonRise (a live easter drama all across the campus of Southern Adventist University). Beginning in the church the audience is faced with a song drama of the years past tragedies, national disasters, and daily problems. I was a part of the car accident scene as you might have already guessed. I was a girl being dragged out of the smoking car by a firefighter while her father is lying on the pavement with a firefighter hovering over his blood soaked chest performing compressions for CPR. This happens daily, if not hourly around the world. A life is turned upside down from a unplanned, unthought of, unwanted tragedy and a reality of sin. Every year I've been a part of the church scene and before I've been able to watch it all as an angel...however this year I felt more involved, more immersed, more bloody, more personal. I could feel the sticky, cold blood run down my arm every time I stepped out on that stage. And as I would lay my body limp over the arms of chris the firefighter I would think, "I can't imagine a world of this much disaster and sin." Yet I live in the middle of it. The middle of earthquakes, of car accidents, of home foreclosures, of tsunamis, of spousal abuse, of suicide, of disconnected families, of riots and wars. There isn't any escaping the reality of tears.
Another thought that would go through my head was "I NEVER want this to happen to ANYONE I know." More specifically as I lie in the stretcher for the second frozen scene, my eyes went straight towards the disconnected family scene where Brittany sat. My very best friend in this world. All I could think was I would jump in front of a car for her. How I would take a bullet for her. and I would NEVER want pain to come to her ever again.
But the only person who can give his life in place of our own is Jesus. The ultimate sacrifice. So as much as I see sin all around, theres someone who took more than just death for us but possible separation from his father forever. Yet He still died. For you.
No comments:
Post a Comment